PRO SOCCER NEWS AND RESOURCES FROM ILLINOIS AND BEYOND
- Rapids Players and Fans Celebrate Season Kickoff Party, Get First Glimpse of One Flag Kit Ahead of Home OpenerThe Colorado Rapids celebrated the start of the season on Wednesday night at the 2024 Season Kickoff Party, where fans, players and members of the Col… – MLS Colorado Rapids
- VANCOUVER, BC -Vancouver Whitecaps FC and MNP announced on Thursday a renewed multi-year partnership.MNP is the official Tax Advisory and Accounti… – MLS Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Feb. 29, 2024) – Fresh off a Concacaf Champions Cup (CCC) Round One series clinching win over Dominican Side Moca FC at GEODIS Park … – MLS Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Hosts Austin FC in 2024 Home Opener this Saturday, with Special Matchday Elements as Club Celebrates 50th Anniversary SeasonRENTON, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC today announced the host of exciting matchday activities fans can expect at this Saturday's 2024 home opener, cour… – MLS Seattle Sounders FC
- NEW YORK – The Independent Review Panel, consisting of one representative from the U.S. Soccer Federation, one representative from the Canadian Soccer… – MLS LA Galaxy
- NEW YORK – The Independent Review Panel, consisting of one representative from the U.S. Soccer Federation, one representative from the Canadian Soccer… – MLS
- San Diego FC's Chrome Ball is making its way to the city of Santee this Saturday, March 2, 2024. Every stop of the Chrome Ball Tour is completely free… – MLS San Diego FC
- FC Cincinnati have acquired $175,000 in General Allocation Money from Toronto FC in exchange for a 2024 International Roster Slot, the clubs announced… – MLS FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Acquire International Roster Spot from FC Cincinnati in Exchange of General Allocation MoneyToronto FC announced today that the club has acquired a 2024 International Roster Slot from FC Cincinnati in exchange for $175,000 in General Allocati… – MLS Toronto FC
- Toronto FC announced that the club has signed midfielder Matty Longstaff to a two-year contract through 2025 with an option for 2026. Longstaff will b… – MLS Toronto FC
- New York City FC (NYCFC) and NFP, the Official Insurance Broker of the Club, today announced the continuation of their partnership in a multi-year dea… – MLS New York City FC
- New York City FC heads to St. Louis City SC this weekend.The Boys in Blue kick off at 8:30PM ET at CITYPARK.Here are the Keys to the Match, pr… – MLS New York City FC
- Chicago's Gutiérrez Lends a Helping HandFollowing a strong 2023 season in which he logged a career-best nine assists, 20-year-old Chicago Fir… – MLS
- WASHINGTON, D.C. – Audi Field has today announced an international friendly between El Salvador and Bonaire on Wednesday, March 20 at 7 p.m. ET. Fans… – MLS D.C. United
- Largely on the back of their up-and-coming talent, FC Cincinnati handily defeated Cavalier FC, 4-0, Wednesday night to punch their ticket to the next … – MLS FC Cincinnati
- Argentina: Copa ArgentinaSan Lorenzo 1 – 0 Independiente ChivilcoyBelgium: CupAntwerp 3 – 0 KV OostendeBrazil: Copa do BrasilHumaitá 1 – 1 Sampaio CorrêaOperário FC MS 0 – 0 Operário PRTrem 0 – 4 Sport RecifeCEOV Operário 0 – 0 CriciúmaBulgaria: CupLudogorets 3 – 1 CSKA 1948 SofiaCosta Rica: Primera DivisiónHerediano 4 – 0 Municipal LiberiaSporting San José 4 – 1 Municipal GreciaCyprus: CupAnorthosis 2 – 3 Aris LimassolApollon 2 – 1 AEK LarnacaEgypt: Premier LeagueSmouha 1 – 1 Modern FutureZamalek 1 – 0 El DakhleyaFrance: Coupe de FranceLe Puy Foot 1 – 3 RennesGuatemala: Liga NacionalAchuapa 2 – 1 Deportivo […]
- Argentina: Prim B MetroDeportivo Laferrere 0 – 2 LiniersAtlanta 0 – 2 AldosiviArmenia: Premier LeagueWest Armenia 1 – 1 Ararat-ArmeniaVan 0 – 2 AraratAzerbaijan: Premyer LiqaQəbələ 0 – 4 QarabagBelgium: CupUnion Saint-Gilloise 2 – 0 Club BruggeBolivia: LFPBSan Antonio Bulo Bulo 5 – 1 The StrongestIndependiente 1 – 1 Nacional PotosíBrazil: Copa do BrasilPetrolina 3 – 2 CascavelOlaria 0 – 1 São BernardoMaranhão 1 – 2 FerroviárioGAS 0 – 1 BrusqueMaringá 2 – 0 América MineiroVilla Nova 1 – 0 AparecidensePortuguesa Santista 0 – 1 Caxias do SulMurici 2 – 1 ConfiançaMarcílio Dias 1 – 3 Vasco da GamaÁgua Santa […]
- Angola: GirabolaPetro de Luanda 4 – 0 Bravos do MaquisArgentina: Copa ArgentinaSarmiento 1 – 1 TemperleyLos Andes 2 – 2 Deportivo ArmenioSacachispas 2 – 2 Sportivo ItalianoSan Martín Burzaco 1 – 0 Dock SudVélez Sarsfield 2 – 2 TigreCentral Córdoba SdE 0 – 0 Atlético TucumánArmenia: Premier LeagueUrartu 1 – 1 PyunikBKMA 0 – 6 AlashkertBolivia: LFPBReal Tomayapo 0 – 2 Royal PariBrazil: Copa do BrasilAthletic Club MG 1 – 0 Volta RedondaIguatu 0 – 0 JuventudeBulgaria: CupBotev Plovdiv 2 – 1 Spartak VarnaCameroon: Elite ONEVictoria United 1 – 1 Young Sport AcademyColombia: Primera ADeportivo Cali 1 – 2 Deportes […]
- Former Newcastle United midfielder Matty Longstaff has signed for Toronto FC. The 23-year-old, who is the brother of Sean Longstaff, has joined the MLS side on a two-year contract with the option of a further year. Toronto head coach, John Herdman, said: “I’m thrilled to welcome Matty to our squad. “His Premier League experience and dynamic playing style will add depth to our midfield and complement our tactical blueprint.” Longstaff hasn’t played a competitive game of football since suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury while on loan at Colchester United in 2022. He…
- Portland Timbers end kit sponsorship with DaBella due to sexual harassment allegations surrounding companyThe Portland Timbers have terminated their corporate sponsorship with DaBella Exteriors, a home improvement services company specializing in roofing and siding, that was the club’s new front-of-shirt sponsor. The announcement came Wednesday on the heels of a report by The Oregonian detailing that the chief executive of DaBella, Donnie McMillan Jr.,is facing a lawsuit that could uncover complaints that he sexually harassed at least three female employees. The lawsuit against DaBella, a company founded in the Portland area, and McMillan Jr., was made public on Feb. 23. The Timbers learned of…
- Major League Soccer will play another weekend of games with replacement referees after representatives from the Professional Soccer Referees Association (PSRA) and the Professional Referee Organization (PRO) met in New York City on Wednesday and failed to reach an agreement in an ongoing labor dispute, according to sources briefed on the talks and documentation reviewed by The Athletic. The second week of the MLS season starts on Saturday afternoon. PRO’s team of replacement referees, which includes college and youth referees and a large crop of officials who have experience refereeing…
- The United States men’s national team announced on Tuesday night that it will play a friendly against Brazil before their Copa America campaign later this year. The friendly will take place on June 12 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida. Just announced on TNT: @USMNT to face world power Brazil, Wednesday, June 12, in the second edition of the Allstate Continental Clásico. Coverage from Orlando via TNT and @SportsonMax to kick off at 6:30 pm ET. pic.twitter.com/ZP121Q8tC0 — TNT Sports U.S. PR (@TNTSportsUS) February 28, 2024 The game against the five-time World Cup winners…
- The sporting and competition committee meeting included 13 owners from around the league, plus MLS executives
- An uproar over soccer history and a labor dispute make Messi MLS's ultimate security blanket…for now.
- USL side Birmingham Legion is set to sign U.S. youth national team defender Ramiz Hamouda, according to multiple sources briefed on the deal. Hamouda, 15, had plenty of interest within MLS, as well, but will get his professional career started in the USL. The Sporting Kansas City academy product was not offered a homegrown deal, but the New York Red Bulls offered to trade for his homegrown rights. That deal ultimately did not come off. Other teams including the Philadelphia Union and Columbus Crew were interested, the sources said. Hamouda, a left-footed center back, went on trial with the…
- Manchester United assistant coach Eric Ramsay has been announced as the new head coach of Minnesota United. The Athletic broke the news last week that the 32-year-old had agreed a deal to become the MLS club’s new head coach. The Premier League side have now confirmed that Ramsay will leave the club after Manchester United’s Premier League game against Manchester City on March 3. Ramsay told his new club’s website: “I’m incredibly excited to be joining a club with such a strong football culture, a fanatic fan base and a brilliant infrastructure. I’ve spoken to a…
- Neville says he felt at home with Portland from his very first conversation with the club
- Messi scores late equalizer, Sergio Busquets and replacement referee struggle: LA Galaxy 1, Inter Miami 1The LA Galaxy were in control of the game for long stretches of Sunday night visit from Inter Miami, but a late sending off and a later goal from Lionel Messi resulted in a 1-1 draw. Miami’s depth in midfield was once again a concern, but all it took was a little bit of magic between Messi and Jordi Alba to rescue a result and avoid Miami’s first loss of the young season. Messi 🔗 Alba WHAT A GOAL! pic.twitter.com/LuYpsiAb2X — Major League Soccer (@MLS) February 26, 2024 And that’s why Inter Miami is considered one of the favorites in […]
- Even with Messi and other aging former Barcelona stars joining the ranks, MLS is getting younger
- A ruling by a European court has given some MLS owners revived hopes of leaving the U.S. Open Cup
- Federico is a different player to his father, Argentina legend Fernando, but they share some similarities on the pitch
- The Athletic has obtained the list of referee assignments for this weekend’s Major League Soccer games, which includes officials with widely varying degrees of experience. While some have been involved extensively in matches in the second and third divisions of the U.S. Soccer pyramid, others are making the leap from the uppermost levels of youth soccer. Some of the assistant referees have largely worked college games. MLS has been forced to play games with replacement officials after the Professional Referees Organization (PRO) could not come to terms with the Professional Soccer…
- The new looks across MLS this season conjure up everything from the streets to the stars
- The World Cup-winning goalkeeper discusses a difficult last few months at Spurs, the club's lack of trophies, and his move to MLS with LAFC
- Manchester United assistant Eric Ramsay has agreed a deal to become the new head coach of Minnesota United, sources briefed on the deal tell The Athletic. Ramsay is expected to depart his role at United for Minnesota after the Premier League side’s fixture against rivals Manchester City on March 3. The Athletic reported on Monday that Minnesota was closing in on naming Ramsay their head coach, and though it has not been finalised yet, the deal is nearing completion. Minnesota kick off their 2024 MLS season on Saturday against Austin FC. They face reigning champions Columbus Crew on March…
- The designated players arriving in time for match week one and those who may not
- Argentina will play two friendlies in the United States in March after their planned games in China were cancelled due to Lionel Messi’s absence in Hong Kong. The 2022 World Cup winners will play El Salvador at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on March 22, before facing Nigeria at the LA Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles on March 26. El Salvador replace the Ivory Coast, who Argentina was originally scheduled to play in one of the two friendlies. The two friendlies against Nigeria and Ivory Coast in China were cancelled this month after Messi failed to appear in an Inter […]
- Inter Miami put their disappointing preseason tour of Asia behind them with a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake in their MLS regular-season opener Wednesday. Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez each provided an assist on the night. Suárez hobbled and battled for 90 minutes in his MLS debut. All eyes will be on Inter Miami this season with MLS Cup or bust expectations the only measure of success for the Fort Lauderdale-based club. With Messi now fully fit after an adductor injury limited his preseason action, Inter Miami was the aggressor in the first half. They dominated possession as a […]
- Spain followed up its Women’s World Cup title in August with victory in the inaugural Women’s Nations League on Wednesday.
- The Kansas City Current are preparing to open one of the few stadiums in the world built expressly for a women's sports team.
- A four-year doping ban could end the career Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, who turns 31 next month.
- Alexi Lalas and David Mosse discussed USWNT historic loss to CONCACAF rival Mexico. The guys break down the game and gave their insight into why this loss was troubling on many levels.
- Forster Ajago converted on a GORGEOUS cross to help Nashville SC grab a 2-0 lead over Moca FC
- McKinze Gaines' BEAUTIFUL finish helped Nashville SC strike first vs. Moca FC
- Before the USMNT turns its full attention to this summer's Copa América, the U.S. will try for a third consecutive Concacaf Nations League title next month. Who will make coach Gregg Berhalter's roster? These are our best educated guesses.
- After failing to qualify for last year's World Cup and the 2024 Olympics, Mexico's women's soccer team is finally trending in the right direction.
- Ballon d'Or winner Aitana Bonmati and Mariona Caldentey scored a goal each for Spain in front of a record crowd at La Cartuja Stadium in southern Spain.
- The Chiefs are planning an $800 million renovation to Arrowhead Stadium that would begin after the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
- Several Saudi Pro League teams are expected to make a run at some of the top Premier League stars this offseason, including Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne.
- The eight-time Ballon d'Or winner and Inter Miami remain favorites to win the MLS Cup. FOX Sports soccer writer Doug McIntyre offers his insights.
- Houston Dynamo FC and St. Louis City SC squared off in the second leg of the first round of the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Check out the top moments and highlights here!
- Erik Sviatchenko found the net to give Houston Dynamo FC a lead vs. saint Louis City SC.
- Philadelphia Union and Deporivo Saprissa squared off in the second leg of the first round of the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Check out the top moments and highlights here!
- Jack Elliott's timely goal helped the Philadelphia Union tie the game vs. Deportivo Saprissa.
- Mariano Torres scores an OUTRAGEOUS free kick to give Deportivo Saprissa a 3-2 lead over Philadelphia UnionMariano Torres scored an OUTRAGEOUS free kick to give Deportivo Saprissa a 3-2 lead over Philadelphia Union.
- Philadelphia Union's Quinn Sullivan goal extended the lead against Deportivo Saprissa to 2-1.
- Julian Carranza's header from Quinn Sullivan's cross leveled the score to 1-1 for the Philadelphia Union against Deportivo Saprissa.
- Orlando City SC and Cavalry FC squared off in the second leg of the first round of the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Check out the top moments and highlights here!
The Windy City Showdown: The Rise of MLS Soccer in Illinois
In the heart of Illinois, where the spirit of competition and the love for sports ran deep, a thrilling soccer revolution was about to unfold. The year was 2023, and Major League Soccer (MLS) had chosen Illinois as the destination for not one but two professional MLS teams – Chicago Fire FC and Springfield Storm FC.
The news sent shockwaves of excitement throughout the state, from the bustling streets of Chicago to the charming neighborhoods of Springfield. Soccer enthusiasts like Alex and Emily, both lifelong fans of the sport, eagerly awaited the debut of their home teams.
In Chicago, the establishment of Chicago Fire FC marked the beginning of a new era. The team’s crest, featuring a blazing fire with the iconic Chicago skyline in the background, symbolized the city’s passion and determination to conquer the MLS.
With a world-class coach, Coach Johnson, at the helm, Chicago Fire FC assembled a formidable squad. They recruited international stars and talented players from across the United States, aiming to bring glory to the Windy City.
In Springfield, the inception of Springfield Storm FC was met with equal enthusiasm. The team’s logo, depicting a fierce storm cloud with lightning bolts, represented the tenacity and fighting spirit of the city’s soccer players and fans.
Coach Anderson, a former Springfield soccer legend, took charge of Springfield Storm FC. He believed in nurturing local talent and giving young players like Emily a chance to shine on the professional stage.
The inaugural MLS season commenced with a burst of energy and anticipation. Both teams faced fierce competition, but their passion and determination were unmatched. Each match became a spectacle, with fans from Chicago and Springfield flocking to the stadiums to cheer for their home teams.
Alex, a die-hard Chicago Fire FC supporter, painted his face red and cheered with all his might during every home game. He stood shoulder-to-shoulder with fellow fans, singing chants that echoed through the stadium and created an electrifying atmosphere.
Meanwhile, Emily, wearing her Springfield Storm FC jersey with pride, watched every match with unwavering hope and admiration. She dreamed of one day stepping onto the field as a professional player, representing her beloved team and the state of Illinois.
The rivalry between Chicago Fire FC and Springfield Storm FC added a new layer of excitement to the MLS. Their matches, known as the “Illinois Derby,” became legendary, showcasing the talent and determination of both teams.
In one memorable Derby match, the score was tied as the clock ticked down to the final seconds. Emily, an emerging star for Springfield Storm FC, received a perfect pass and took a daring shot, scoring the winning goal. The stadium erupted in cheers as the underdogs secured a dramatic victory.
As the seasons progressed, both Chicago Fire FC and Springfield Storm FC continued to shine on the national and international stages. They became fierce competitors, but off the pitch, they united as ambassadors for Illinois soccer.
Beyond their successes on the field, the teams were deeply committed to making a positive impact in their communities. They organized soccer clinics for local youth, supported charitable causes, and became a symbol of unity for the entire state.
The rivalry between Chicago and Springfield was friendly and spirited, creating a bond that transcended the boundaries of the field. Fans from both cities united under the banner of soccer, celebrating the sport they loved and the pride they felt for their home teams.
And so, the story of professional MLS soccer in Illinois continues to unfold, with Chicago Fire FC and Springfield Storm FC becoming legends in their own right. They proved that soccer was not just a game, but a force that could unite a state, inspire dreams, and bring joy and excitement to the hearts of fans young and old. The Windy City and the charming capital united in the spirit of soccer, forever leaving an indelible mark on the MLS landscape.